Blazer: Smart Set / Blouse: RW&co / Skirt: American Apparel
Shoes: Nine West / Necklace & Bracelet: Tiffany&co / Watch: Swatch
Since I'm going to be in court almost all the time this week (for my new readers, I'm a lawyer so that's definitely part of my job), and since I've got lots of questions about professionnal dressing, I thought I would do a little series for you guys and give you my tips on how to add a bit personnal style to a work appropriate outfit, without going overboard.
First, here's a little story ! When I graduated, I just had in my mind that all lawyers had to wear the 2 piece black or navy suit to look professionnal. And since that wasn't really my style, everytime I got dressed for work it seemed like I was wearing a costume, wich was weird and not helping my self confidence. I learned along the way that I could infuse some of my personnal style in a way that was professionnal, but still me ! And it took me about 3 years to figure out !!!
This is a look that I wore to go to court, so that means to be in front of a judge and a client. So I tried to keep it classic, but still fun !
So here's some tips on how I included my personnal style in a professionnal way in this outfit:
- Stick with classic lines like a pencil skirt (or an a line skirt) and classic blazer
- Don't be afraid to add bright colors, like I did with the blazer, just keep the rest of the color palette neutral
- Roll the sleeves of your blazer to keep the look a little more casual
- Don't be afraid to use patterns, but stick to one. Pattern mixing is a great trend (and I do love and do it !!!) but not all occasions are right for a fashion statement. This one for me wasn't.
- Heels ! I always feel more put together when I wear heels. And the more put together I feel, the more confident I am, the better job I'm going to do !
So here you go ! Hope that was helpful and stay tuned for other professionnal looks later this week !